Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Introducing: Chainsawsuit (two-fer)

OK, so let's see. We've got a new webcomic here that I'd like to introduce: Chainsawsuit by Kris Straub who, I discovered, recently completed his comedic sci-fi epic Starslip, which I posted an example of some time ago. So here's the new webcomic, published in strip form:
This is probably the first and only time the term "geolocate" has been used in a comics format... and it appears to me that he's using it wrong. But it's still funny.

Sadly, I haven't been following the Olympics very closely so I'm not actually getting the context for this joke, though I can guess at it. 

BTW, a while ago I saw a version of the London 2012 Olympics logo that had the "0" and "2" symbols on the right colored to make it look like Lisa Simpson in a half-kneeling position... doing something untoward.  While the full NSFW effect of that image alteration was, fortunately, not entirely convincing, I can't un-see the silhouette of Lisa Simpson in the 2012 Olympic logo.

Last week I was made aware that this is, in fact, the 30th (modern) Olympic Games. And I just now while writing this began wondering why they didn't use the Roman numerals in the official logo design like they usually do, especially since 30 is an easy even number for Roman numerals, and this year's 2012 logo is, frankly, kinda lame. But that thought lasted about half a second until the Roman numeral for 30 flashed into mind.  Oh.  Right. That'd be a bit tough to deal with.

Then I began wondering whether they're going to avoid Roman numerals completely for the next...let's see... 36 years?  Or do they figure it'll be OK with the extra Roman numerals in there?  But looking back at Olympics logos past they haven't used Roman numerals since about 1980 anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment