Friday, October 16, 2009

Multiverse

If it's hard to read, it says: "Well, this mission answers at least one big question: Are there other planets like ours in the Universe?" This is a presentation by Henry Martin of the "Multiverse" theory that there are an infinite number of universes and therefore it's possible that there could be plenty of earths that are "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike" ours. And, yes, that's a Hitchhiker's Guide reference which, considering the plot lines in the 5th book in the trilogy, is entirely appropriate here. And, yes, I've heard there's to be a 6th book (is it out yet? Due this month apparently). I've enjoyed Eoin Colfer's other works (Artemis Fowl anyway) . And his rationale for doing the 6th book is as good as any, I suppose (effectively: I'd hate myself if somebody else did it and it sucked, so I might as well do it). But few people seem to have high hopes for it... except maybe the soul-less publishers (who seem to me to be exactly the sort of person so thoroughly panned throughout Adams' original work).


This also reminds me of the dozen-or-so "almost Earth" episodes that I vaguely remember from the Star Trek series, especially the original series.

No comments:

Post a Comment